Calvinist fortified church of Saint George
Fortified churches and churches
The final late Gothic style of the church was most likely shaped in 1547 when the patron, Pál Daczó, had rebuilt it at his own cost. A series of earthquakes has severely damaged the church. The building was originally surrounded by two walls – a castle bulwark – and had two watchtowers as well. The outer wall was pulled down in 1786 by the parish, and its stones were used to construct a building for the German school, as ordered to be established by Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor. The building of the school was set up beside the belfry and today houses the cantor.
Walking into the churchyard we may find the graves of numerous significant personalities connected to Sfântu Gheorghe: among others, former mayors Bálint Császár and Ferenc Gödri, as well as the founding editor of the daily newspaper Székely Nemzet, József Málik, lie here. The obelisks of József Váradi and Ferenc Bartalis, martyrs of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848, were set up here also. The arch of the fortification closest to the cemetery is surrounded by many wooden headboards. The first one was set up in 1983 by former students of the Székely Mikó Kollégium (a longstanding secondary school in Transylvania) who graduated in 1943. The number of the headboards has grown to more than seventy since then, serving as a reminder of the past teachers and students of the Székely Mikó Kollégium.