The Pharmaceutical Museum of Kézdivásárhely
The Pharmaceutical Museum is situated on the first story of the so-called Finta-House. (Court 12 no.1). The real estate predecessor of the Finta-House, the former house with round porch, was built in 1835 after the great fire, and because of its ruinous state it was demolished in 1972. The building was rebuilt in 1978 preserving its previous form.
The history of the collection
The exhibited materials were saved for the posterity by dr. Boga Olivér head physician.
The museum objects and the apparatus were exposed for the first time in 2008 in one of the buildings of the Centre for Gerontology and Rehabilitation in Alsólemhény. From there they were brought in the building of the Finta-House.
The basis of the collection’s material represents the apparatus of the pharmacies no.24 and 52 of Kézdivásárhely after 1949, completed with the collection of Dr. Boga Olivér. The collection survived the Communism and escaped from confiscation. After the change of the regime dr. Boga Olivér asked for the furniture and apparatus from the personnel of the Golden Snake Pharmacy, which had already been functioning as a private pharmacy and completed it with his own collection. Other donations were also included afterwards.
According to our present knowledge there are 22 pharmaceutical museums in the country. Most of them are functioning within an institute. In Transylvania are recorded four, one of them is in Kézdivásárhely. The actual state of the museum praises the work of the civil association Let’s act for Kézdi Seat.