Fortified Reformed Church from Ilieni

Fortified churches and churches


Address

Ilieni, Jud. Covasna, Romania

About

In the Middle ages a whole defensive system was built along the southern border of Transylvania, one of these it was the fortified church from Ilieni. On the hill above the village was a small church built in Romanesque style at the beginning of the 12th century. Its place was taken over by a larger church in 1443, built in Gothic style, to be fortified with a wall. At the end of the 16th century, beginning of the 17th century, after the Saxon sieges in 1612, the complex was surrounded by another fortification wall, and five bastions were built. The fortress has a pentagonal shape, the corners are provided with bastions, and watch towers. 

Similar Suggestions

Reformed Church of Dalnic

Fortified churches and churches

Calvinist fortified church of Saint George

Fortified churches and churches

The Fortified Church of Aita Mare

Fortified churches and churches

The fortified Saint Emeric Roman-Catholic Church of Ghelinţa

Fortified churches and churches